Here’s a fun and easy cork painting art activity for kids inspired by our recent family trip to France and a fantastic visit to a winery in Bordeaux (with kids too!)…Enjoy this free printable and be inspired to paint it using the red and blue of the French flag and corks from wine bottles. Be bilingual! Teach your children to say “I Love France” in English and French.
Cork Painting – I Love France
- Corks – the art supply I most enjoy obtaining!
- Red + Blue Paint – take a cue from the French Flag
- The “I Love France” or “J’adore la France” printable – link to pdf’s below.
1. Show your children the flag of France. Discuss the colors and symbolism of the flag: Some interpretations are: Red represents the nobility. Blue represents the third estate (“Bourgeois” or middle class). White represents the clergy. Or the colors could be said to represent the three values in the French Motto: Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité
2. Discuss with your children about how wine is an important agricultural product of France, the different types of grapes used to make wine, and how corks keep wine inside a bottle. Here is a great learning resources from Dino Lingo on French Culture.
3. Give your children the corks and some red and blue paint. Let them stamp over the wine bottle free printable.
4. For a bilingual lesson have them do cork painting onto the J’adore la France printable as well.
I Love France – J’adore la France